Friday, January 26, 2007

Walk This Way

The other day I read an article about how Americans with desk jobs (such as myself) tend not to walk very much. They said it's good for us to walk about 10,000 steps a day, but the desk workers walk maybe 7,000 or so, which is part of this country's overweight epidemic. The article mentioned how New Yorkers (from the city anyway) walk a lot and tend to be thinner. They even mentioned the Amish people, who have a very high fat diet, filled with red meat and butter, have a very low percentage of overweight people because they take about 50,000 steps a day.
Anyway, I decided to buy a pedometer to see how much I walk (or don't walk). Unfortunately I left it at home today and I'll have to test it out tomorrow. I'm curious to see the results. To increase walking, they suggested things like getting up to go see fellow co-workers rather than calling them on the phone. I'll try it and see how it works!

1 comment:

Lucie said...

I bought one of the WW pedometers and realized that I walked more than 20,000 steps ya know with the subway and everything.... yeah New York... so then I propose to you the question of Why am I still Fat?