Monday, January 29, 2007

NRA Lady

So...This weekend I did a very Republican/redneck thing.
Dan has a friend named Brian. Brian was in Iraq 2.0 and has some guns. He goes to the shooting range at the NRA to keep up with it sometimes. This Saturday, Dan and I decided to go with him. Dan had been before, but this would be my very first time holding/shooting a real gun. Brian had a semi-automatic rifle. I think it's an M16. I was pretty nervous about all this shooting.
When you get to the NRA, you have to fill out forms and take a little test to make sure that you aren't going to shoot anyone. You have to wear protective eye wear and sound proof ear phones. I was pretty nervous waiting to shoot the gun while Brian was loading it. It's kind of funny because you see guns on TV and in the movies, I think we're a little desensitized to them. They are a lot louder than I had ever imagined.
Anyway, each clip had 20 bullets. On my first go, I only hit the target once. Not very good. I was really scared and I wasn't prepared for how much kick the gun had. The second time, I was a little more relaxed and hit the target 11 times and pretty close to the center.
I think shooting the gun made me appreciate how dangerous they really are. I really don't think they should be in homes or anything. They are so violent and scary and having shot one, I'm now probably more for gun safety than I was before.

On a more fun note, Dan and I went to go see the Washington Capitals play on Saturday. It was a pretty fun game (even though we sat in the heavens). The Caps won 7-3. They have a second year player named Alex Ovechkin who is supposed to be the next greatest thing in hockey, so it was fun to see him play. I had to explain things as they were going on to Dan. I couldn't tell if he was having fun or not, but I did so that's all that matters!

1 comment:

Lucie said...

please move back to a democratic state!